Monday 16 March 2009

Homecoming

I don't know about you but when I have been away from something for a while it takes a lot of courage and effort to get back into it. Hence, one of the reasons I get so nervous when I have to put anything I’m passionate about on hold. But that’s what I have done for the last 6/7 months. Was keen to learn about a different part of life and work, so I put my writing on hold…don’t get me wrong, I wrote something everyday, my journal, for my eyes only, my rants and musings blog page (every now and gain) letters, articles… you name it.

I was writing but not working my creative juice as far my playwriting was concerned. Opened the last play I was working on this morning and I went blank. I just froze in time because I got scared that I didn’t know how to write anymore. Alan Ayckbourn, where are you??? I need help. Where is your book, The Crafty Art of Playmaking? I need to read that again. Susan Lori-parks, where are you? I am getting my copy of TopdogUnderdog out and I mean right now. Help!!!!!!!!!!

I am really looking forward to writing again but at the same time scared that I may not know how or may not get it right. I want that skill which got me a firs class for playwriting at university back. The question is how do I get it back??? My intuition tells me, Belinda, just WRITE! Write and write because that’s the only way you are going to get back into it and get better.

I also need to get out and see more plays. I can count the number of productions I have seen recently and it is dismal. I won’t tell you.

But I am going to sit down and write. I am going to go out and see more plays. I am coming back home and I don’t care if the butterflies are dancing in the pit of my stomach. I don’t care if I get nervous. I don’t care what the first few feedbacks are going to be like. I am going to write and just keep writing until I get better.

It is a process and here is to my homecoming.

No comments: